What ISO certifications are needed for civil engineering companies?
Most civil engineering companies aim to solve any emergent problems at a construction site and, therefore, are exposed to challenges on a daily basis. In this Edarasystems article, we will talk about how ISO standards can mitigate the common issues that civil engineering companies face regularly. Also, we will discuss the most useful ISO certification for civil engineering companies.
What are ISO standards?
ISO standards, such as ISO 9001, are created with the sole purpose of standardising operations across different industries. These standards are developed on a consensus basis by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), a non-profit, independent, non-governmental body.
How do ISO standards work?
Essentially, every ISO standard, such as ISO 27001 certification, contains recommendations that guide organisations to build their own customised and sustainable management system. This management system helps managers uncover risks often overlooked through regular evaluations. Additionally, since ISO standards help business owners create functional performance metrics, the organisation’s leaders are armed with valuable and insightful data, helping them make strategic and evidence-based decisions to mitigate any hidden risks. As a result of critical thinking and evidence-based decision-making, businesses can increase their efficiency, acquire more profits and explore more opportunities.
Why do civil engineering companies need ISO standards?
As mentioned above, ISO standards are consensus-based, which means that expert advice from different industry leaders is combined with best practises to help organisations increase their efficiency and remove redundancies. Similar to any other industry, civil engineering companies also face various industry-specific problems. Evidently, industry leaders have gotten together to create industry-specific solutions to these common problems. For example, civil engineering companies must find ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from transportation and design an infrastructure to withstand natural disasters. ISO standards such as ISO 14001 and ISO 5001 teach civil engineering company owners how to better consume their resources and energy to create innovative yet sustainable products. Therefore, civil engineering companies need ISO standards as they not only help to mitigate common challenges but also allow companies to improve their efficiency and brand credibility.
Common challenges faced by civil engineering companies
They are many challenges that civil engineering companies face on a daily basis, including:
- Health and safety problems: Civil engineering companies face many challenges on a daily basis. The most common challenge is ensuring that the structures they build are safe for the public. Obviously, here, the end product needs to be functional, but civil engineering companies also need to maintain safety during the construction, protecting the health and safety of all those who work on the construction site or are passing by/visiting.
- Environmental problems: Civil engineering companies have put in a lot of effort to protect the environment they interact with and conserve natural resources. In fact, the need to create sustainable buildings and preserve natural resources has never been more urgent. Environmental protection is focused on mitigating their activities’ impact and adapting to the changing climate and weather events.
- Government and regulatory compliance: To build their structures, civil engineering companies need approval for the site, material, transportation, design, et cetera. These regulations also have specific clauses for environmental performance and workforce health management. Adhering to all necessary government, federal, statutory and regulatory compliance can be overwhelming.
Obtaining ISO certification for civil engineering companies will mitigate the common challenges that they face on a daily basis. For example, ISO 45001 certification will help companies overcome safety issues and challenges with employees’ health.
ISO standards for civil engineering companies
Now that we have understood the common challenges that civil engineering companies face let us explore how ISO standards can provide a viable solution to these problems.
- Health and safety problems: A challenge that civil engineering companies face regularly is maintaining the safety of the construction site and protecting both workers and visitors. Here, ISO 45001 is a viable solution as it helps organisations build a customised Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OHSMS), which puts controls and safeguards in place that reduce workplace accidents and incidents. As a result, the overall health and safety of the construction site improve.
- Environmental problems: A common challenge that civil engineering companies face is building their brand credibility and reassuring their stakeholders that their operations are environmentally conscious. Here, ISO 14001 benefits civil engineering companies in two ways. Firstly, it teaches business owners resource management through implementing an effective Environmental Management System (EMS). Through resource management, companies can produce less waste and create more sustainable products. Secondly, the prestige of the ISO certificate is transferred to the company, thereby satiating any doubts that any stakeholders may have regarding the environmental impact of any operation.
- Government and regulatory compliance: Regardless of the ISO certificate you select, all certifications will guide business owners in their compliance process. The template of ISO standards is such that it helps to align documents and adhere to any necessary obligations so that businesses are always compliant and reliable.
ISO 22000 certification is not an option in obtaining ISO certification for civil engineering companies, but is an essential certification for food related companies.
Overcome challenges in civil engineering companies by obtaining ISO certification
In this article we discussed important ISO certification for civil engineering companies. The popular ISO certificates for civil engineering companies include ISO 45001 and ISO 14001. ISO standards help civil engineering companies mitigate the common challenges that they face on a daily basis.